Inspired by the city in Lorraine Hansberry’s, A Raisin in the Sun, this recipe does not disappoint. It has all the flavors of the “Windy City” in an easy 30 minute meal you can make at home.
- 1 lb. grass fed ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped peperoncini
- 2 tbsp. sweet relish
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ⅛ tsp. celery seed
- T.T Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. poppyseeds
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 sliced beefsteak tomato
- 4 slices american cheese (opt)
- yellow mustard
- 4 dill pickles spears quartered
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Metal Spatula
- Sheet Tray
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with peperoncini, sweet relish, garlic, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 patties (4 oz. each)
- Brush the tops of each bun with butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. On a sheet tray lightly toast in a 350* oven
- Heat oil in a large cast- iron skillet over medium-high. Cook patties until desired doneness, flipping once.
- Transfer patties to bottom bun and finish assembly with lettuce, sliced tomatoes, onions, pickles, and a generous squeeze of yellow mustard.
- Close up hamburger with poppyseed top and enjoy.